I enjoy learning about a company’s core values. It gives me a more rounded view of a company and a sense of what their culture is like. But simply publishing a bunch of words on a piece of paper or on a wall doesn’t amount to anything unless there is a continuous effort by an organization to live the values every day. I can safely say, we take our company core values very seriously at PEER 1 Hosting. Yes, we publish and distribute them on various collateral materials internally. But more importantly, there is continual internal pressure to make decisions that are consistent with our values. That’s not to say we do so in every instance or that it’s always easy because it’s not. Shifting culture and influencing behavior takes patience, time and effort. It starts with senior management–adopting, living and evangelizing the core values. Only then will others follow and help to reinforce the values. Below, I’ve shared PEER 1 Hosting’s values. Reply back and share your company’s core values.
1. Every Interaction Matters.
- Get personal.
- Listen and ask questions to truly understand.
- Catch people doing the right thing.
- Do more than is expected.
2. Enable Others to Succeed.
- Put the customer first… when they win, we win.
- Ask, “How can I help?”
- Give honest, direct feedback to the right person–have the difficult conversations, no triangulation.
- Our customers’ business is our business.
- Build trust.
- Take ownership.
3. Strive for Excellence.
- Seek criticism.
- Measure ourselves against the best–outside our industry.
- Take it personally when we let customers down.
- Don’t fear mistakes, learn from them.
4. Anything is Possible.
- Embrace “AND” instead of “OR”.
- Dream big, get excited.
- Bring forward and recognize new ideas.
- Have an open mind.
5. Sense of Fun and Play.
- Fun environment. Serious results!
- Everyone’s invited.
- Show up.
- Be authentic.
Rajan is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of BIG Marketing for Small Business. He's an award-winning marketing strategist who is passionate about branding, digital marketing and social media. He spent nearly a decade as the marketing executive at global IT firm Peer 1 Hosting and was instrumental in their explosive growth.