Mark Stevens, author of one of my favorite books, Your Marketing Sucks, offers up some pragmatic tips on how to push a prospect off the fence and into a sale faster. He argues that most times the reluctance from a prospect to pull the trigger is based in fear. Your goal is to help him address and overcome his fear and make the purchase. The five common ‘fear factors’ he addresses are:
- I’m spending money that I think I’m better off saving.
- There are far more attractive pricing options on the Internet; I’d be overpaying if I accepted your terms.
- My whole team is not onboard with the purchase. The final decision is mine, but I want it to be a consensus.
- What if a new model comes out shortly that makes this version obsolete or second best?
- The economy is so shaky; it doesn’t seem to make sense to do anything until we have a clearer picture of the macroeconomics.
You can read his advise on how to respond the these fear factors here.
Rajan is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of BIG Marketing for Small Business. He's an award-winning marketing strategist who is passionate about branding, digital marketing and social media. He spent nearly a decade as the marketing executive at global IT firm Peer 1 Hosting and was instrumental in their explosive growth.